To get started with uDig:
About uDig 1.2 Series
The uDig 1.2 series highlights a lot really great ideas the developer community has been working on. We have migrated to a modern version of the GeoTools library - bringing in five years of new developments in standard support, and a host of new raster and vector formats. An exciting addition is the use of the ImageIO-ext project allowing the use of raster formats supported by GDAL.
New and capabilities of uDig 1.2 include:
- ImageIO-EXT rendering enabling additional raster formats and working with images larger then memory
- Tiled rendering (as an option in preferences) with a new flicker free panning tool.
- Support for GeoWebCache and TileServer via WMS-C
- WFS 1.1.0 support
- Greatly improved ArcSDE support; multithreaded and faster
- Advanced Symbology including Hatches and True Type Font support
About uDig 1.2 Release Candidate 2
This release patches up the jre used for the linux distribution and fixes a couple of issues that were spotted by the community with the first release candidate - including fixing Drag and Drop from the latest firefox on windows.
- Mac OSX release is a simple zip, we will try and make a proper installer shortly.
- The mac release is unable to support the full range of ImageIO-EXT formats. Please contact udig-devel if you are able to build GDAL on Mac OSX.
- Linux64 release is not provided at this time. Please contact us on the udig-devel list if you are able to bundle a Linux 64 Java Runtime Environment with ImageIO-EXT support.